Panic attack or panic disorder
It is a type of severe anxiety disorder.
Symptoms of panic attack or panic disorder:
- Sudden feelings of fear, discomfort starting within few minutes.
- Palpitations, fast heart beating.
- Trembling, shaking, tremors.
- Discomfort in chest, sometimes chest pain.
- Nausea, distress in abdomen stomach, feelings of vomiting.
- Blackouts, fainting, dizziness
- Abnormal sensations like numbness, tingling.
- Feelings of unreality.
- Fear of losing control.
- Fear of dying.
- Worries about next panic attack.
- Difficulty in breathing.
- Difficulty in concentration.
Panic attacks occur without any obvious stimulus. Panic attacks are spontaneous and without any trigger.
How common is panic disorder?
Almost 2% population suffers from panic disorder.
Why to treat panic disorder or panic attack?
Panic attack is an emergency. During panic attack person may harm oneself or others. Most of the people with penic disorder suffer from depression, anxiety, alcohol, phobia, OCD, hypochondriasis.
Some people reach to emergency during panic attack as a case of heart attack, asthma, low blood pressure.
How to treat panic disorder?
- During Panic attack:
- * Person should be allowed to express himself.
- * Person should not be controlled forcefully.
- * Open space should be given during panic attack.
- * Person should be consoled.
- * Free access to air should be given.
- After panic attack:
- * Medications
- * Psychotherapy or psychological counselling like CBT.
- * Yoga, pranayam