Female Masturbation Benefits And Risks
Masturbation is also known as Onanism. It is the sexual stimulation of one’s own sex organs for sexual pleasure generally to reach orgasm. Sexual stimulation may be done by multiple methods e.g., fingers, daily use objects like a bottle of deodorant, carrot, banana, cucumber, sex toys, dildo, and vibrators, or combinations of these.
Masturbation can be done solo or mutual or in a group. Most commonly females do it solo but a sex partner is also involved many times. Masturbation among females is also known as fingering. Female masturbation can be either penetrative or non-penetrative.
Masturbation among females was considered taboo but with time society is becoming more empathetic towards it. Western medicine says there is no direct causal relationship between masturbation and any psychiatric or physical illness. In general masturbation in private considered a normal form of sexual pleasure.
There are evidences of masturbation since the prehistoric period in the form of art and literature. In many religions masturbation is described as “heinous” but during the 20th century, these taboos declined. Some people view it as a spiritually detrimental act. In 20th and 21st centuries, there is increased discussion and portrayal of masturbation in art, cinema, television, and writing. Masturbation has been observed in many animals also.
Read also: Masturbation Among Males, Benefits And Risks
Methods of female masturbation:
Masturbation involves touching, rubbing, or massaging the sex organs or inserting fingers or an object into the vagina and stimulating the vulva, labia minora, clitoris with fingers or vibrator or daily use objects like a bottle of deodorant, carrot, banana, cucumber, sex toys, dildo. Some females use vaseline, oil, or saliva as a lubricant to reduce friction and to increase sexual pleasure.
Many females use pornographic materials in the form of reading or viewing, with masturbation to fantasize and feel more pleasure. With the invention of technology, females have been using sex machines for masturbation.
Females commonly use an index finger or middle finger, or both. Sometimes fingers may be inserted into the vagina to stimulate G-spot. Females may fondle or press their breasts with the freehand. Females sometimes do anal stimulation and enjoy it.
Positions of female masturbation:
Common postures for female masturbation are lying on the back, face down, sitting, squatting, kneeling, or standing. During the bath, a female may direct water at her clitoris, vulva, or anus.
The frequency of masturbation is determined by many factors
- one’s resistance to sex desire
- hormone levels influencing sex desire
- Peer pressure
- attitude towards masturbation formed by culture and religion
Research on females masturbation:
Western medical science says that masturbation is psychologically and physically normal.
- Alfred Kinsey’s1950s studies in the USA have shown that 62% of women have masturbated during their lifespan.
- In the year 2007 British national probability survey found that females between 16 to 44 years 71% of women masturbated in their lives.
- According to The Merck Manual, 80% of women have masturbated.
- Coon and Mitterer say almost 70% of married women masturbate.
- American Medical Association declared masturbation a normal sexual activity in 1972. According to them, masturbation does not reduce the energy of the body.
- Merck Manual of Diagnosis and Therapy considers it abnormal only when it’s
I. inhibits sexual behavior towards partner
II. is done publically
III. is sufficiently compulsive
IV. causes distress for oneself or others
Benefits of masturbation among females:
- Solo masturbation is almost free of the risk of STDs sexually transmitted diseases.
- Solo masturbation is free of the risk of pregnancy.
- Sometimes sexologists recommend that some females take a longer time to reach orgasm, in such situation females can masturbate before or simultaneously with sex to reach orgasm.
- Mutual masturbation is an option when intercourse is inconvenient or impractical. When one sex partner in a relationship needs more sex masturbation can give a way to satisfy extra sexual desire.
- The person feels relaxation after orgasm, frequently followed by sleep and contentment.
Risks of masturbation among females:
- Ayurveda says masturbation has a depleting effect on both the body and mind both.
- Females who insert objects to masturbate have to risk them becoming stuck in private parts. Which may need surgical help to remove these foreign bodies.
- Mutual masturbation may be a source of STDs sexually transmitted diseases like gonorrhea, syphilis, herpes genitalis, etc.
- Compulsive masturbation may be a sign of a psychological problem, for this problem person should consult a psychiatrist. It may be a symptom of OCD.
- Sometimes excessive masturbation causes marital disharmony due to dissatisfaction of the partner.
- Sometimes mutual masturbation with a same-sex partner changes the sexual orientation and a person may be inclined towards homosexuality.
- A person who watches pornographic material may get addicted to pornography.
- Excessive masturbation may be an aftereffect of sexual abuse.